If you sustain a personal injury or accident, then you probably need to obtain the services of a personal injury attorney. Several personal injury attorneys Denver are dedicated to ensuring that you get full compensation for whatever injury you might have sustained from an accident. Before contacting a personal injury lawyer in Denver, though, you should know what exactly is meant by personal injury and the type that requires the services of an attorney?
What is a personal injury?
Generally, personal injury is the term used to describe any form of injury or harm sustained during accidents or by accident. According to legal definitions, personal injury means damage that is either physical or psychological or both caused by neglect of another person or party. In other words, any injury to the body, mind, and emotions as a result of another party’s negligence.
Personal injury lawsuit refers to a form of tort lawsuit where the injured is assigned the title plaintiff, and the negligent party is the defendant.
What are Common Types of Personal Injury Claims?
There are a lot of personal injury types for which an individual can make claims. These include vehicle accidents, work accidents, slips, and falls, tripping injuries, product defects accidents, usually called product liability and medical or dental accidents. Once an attorney can prove the negligence has been in a law court, then the plaintiff will be entitled to monetary compensation.
Proving personal Injury/ Prove of negligence
For a personal injury case to be considered for compensation, the party involved must be able to prove that the accident was the result of the other party’s negligence. You must be able to prove that-
- The party had a duty deliverable under the circumstance.
- The party breached such duty
- The party’s negligence or breach resulted in your injury. This means your injury was a direct result of the breach of duty.
- You also need to claim that you have suffered monetary damages due to the party’s breach of duty
Statute of limitations
Each state in the United States has a specific time limit, after which you may not be able to file a personal injury lawsuit. You need to have hired a personal injury attorney in Denver within two years of the time you discover the injury.
Most Denver personal injury attorneys will not charge you any fees unless you have been able to win some compensation from your lawsuit. This means hiring a personal injury lawyer would not necessarily cost you extra. So if your reason for not considering a personal injury attorney is the fear that you will be spending more in addition to the medical Bill’s you are already facing, then you may want to reconsider. Most personal injury attorneys in Denver get their charges as a percentage of whatever compensation you receive.
How to find a personal injury attorney in Denver
Hiring the right attorney for you may be such a difficult task. You already have to deal with medical bills, hospital visits, or other similar frustrating events, and now you need to search for a lawyer to represent you. All of this can be so overwhelming. Still, you must find the right person to defend you so you can get full compensation.
Here are a few things you can do to ease your search for a personal injury attorney in Denver;
- Make a list of the features that you want in your preferred personal injury attorney- are you interested in an attorney close by or you don’t mind traveling a long distance to someone farther. Do you need an attorney that is licensed by your state or just any license? How interested are you in their level of experience? Once you have been able to list out your preferences, then you can move ahead to the next step.
- Do your research, ask around – now that you know what you want, the next step is to look at where you can find your lawyer. Ask friends and family, search the internet, and get access to attorney directories. These are pretty simple ways to get the contact of attorneys. Referrals, however, seems to be the most reliable since you have someone who can tell you how their experience was with such an attorney.
- Make your selection – by now, you should have two or more personal injury attorneys in Denver that you want to consider. Now cut down this list by checking their websites mainly to read their bios and get reviews. While making your selection, you may also want to consider the cost or legal fees of each option.
- Select your top candidate and connect- once you have found the attorney you are most impressed with, the next thing is to make a call or send an email or whatever the case may be. Just contact them and begin the process.